As the third phase of the teacher assistant initiative comes to its end soon, the Department of Basic Education has announced the application timeliness for the next phase. Qualifying individuals have been urged to submit their applications in line with the dates provided.
This Presidential Youth Employment Initiative (PYEI) came about as a means to reduce youth unemployment and lessen the workload of teachers by assisting them with daily activities.
The Department of Basic Education (DBE) has implemented three phases of the PYEI to date and the contracts of the youth who are currently participating in the Fifth Phase end on 31 March 2023
The department has urged youth that has never been part of the initiative to apply for the next phase.
In an interview, the initiative’s Project Manager, Lala Maje announced:
We are going to open the applications for everyone from 22 Feb, and they will run for three weeks up until March 2023
However, the department will open a pre-application window from 5 September 2022, which will run for three weeks, allowing young people to prepare themselves by gathering all the documents and information that will be required for their application.
Applications are to be done through the data free website, sayouth.mobi which requires the profiles of job opportunity seekers to be up to date.
As part of the qualifying criteria, you need to be unemployed and be aged between 18 and 34.
Maje has also emphasized that the department is looking for young people who did not participate in previous three phases.
The department also said applicants should be looking forward to being invited for interviews towards the end of November and beginning of the first week of December.
How To Apply for School Assistant Jobs Using SAYouth
Are you wanting to apply to become a school assistant or a teacher assistant as part of the Basic Education Employment Initiative? Here’s how.
- Go to SAYouth website
- Register an account by clicking on ‘Join the Network’
- Log in with your details
- A list of jobs available in your area will come up which will also include the opportunity cards for the schools that are closest to you. Only apply at schools that you have easy access to
- Click the ‘read more’ button which would enable you to see further details about the job
- If you are interested in the opportunity, click ‘apply now’
- Follow the prompts and provide the relevant information to complete your application
- You will then receive confirmation that your application has been successful
The department has introduced an alternative way:
- Go to https://sayouth.me/DBE
- Choose your province
- Fill in the required fields
- Search for the school closest to you or click the drop-down menu to select the school
- Check that all the information provided is correct
- Click ‘Submit’
Should you be shortlisted, you will be contacted through SMS or a phone call by the school.
If you’re given an interview, bring the following documents with you:
- Certified copy of ID
- Matric certificate or other NQF 4 or higher proof of qualification
- Testimonial letter